We’re coming to get you‚ Gigaba warns businesses employing undocumented foreigners

We’re coming to get you‚ Gigaba warns businesses employing undocumented foreigners

Gigaba was referring to the arrests in Pretoria of scores of undocumented foreign nationals employed by three Spar supermarkets.

Speaking in Cape Town on Thursday‚ the minister said 19 women and 28 men had been arrested at Montana Spar. The manager had been charged for contravening the country’s labour and immigration laws.

He said a further six women as well and nine men had been arrested at Zambezi Spar and that manager would be charged. One employee had been arrested at Doornpoort Spar‚ but the manager had not been present.

“In many cases business incentivises irregular migration‚ and those contributing to questionable labour practices must be held to account. It is far easier and convenient for some to target desperate and vulnerable migrants than the unscrupulous employers who deliberately fuel tensions in the labour market‚” Gigaba said.

He has directed his office to set up a meeting with Spar management.

The minister said his department would now target businesses that employed undocumented foreigners.

He said the government was working with business on ensuring compliance with labour laws.

“[Businesses] should not fuel tensions‚ playing locals against foreigners‚ but should be on the side of the law‚” Gigaba said.

Gigaba said they were seeking the commitment of the hospitality sector on the need to comply with the law‚ especially the requirement of employing a minimum of 60% local people.

“This is the message we are taking to the rest of business‚ and will feature strongly in our upcoming meetings. There will be workplace inspections and penalties for employing undocumented foreigners will be imposed‚” the minister said.

Sipho Mabena / TIMESLIVE

Facebook Comments

About author

Femi Oshin
Femi Oshin 165 posts

Femi Oshin is a publisher at Nigeriansinsouthafrica.ca.za and Producer /Presenter of Agogo Ayo on Africa Magic Yoruba.

You might also like

Community 0 Comments

5 Nigerians Attacked Again In South Africa

Less than a week after a high-powered Federal Government delegation left South Africa, to mediate in Xenophobic attacks in that country, five Nigerians were attacked yesterday 21 March 2017 in


Reports indicate that soldiers have taken over Zimbabwe’s ZBC state broadcaster, compounding speculation of a coup against President Robert Mugabe, 93. Follow Live updates. Comrade Maj. Gen Sibisiso's press statement

Quit Notice To Igbos: Arewa Youths Change Their Mind,Reconsider Igbos

Arewa Youths met with Buhari s political adviser , Senator Babafemi Ojudu and resolved to reconsidered quit notice to Igbos. Senator Babafemi Ojudu had a lengthy and resourceful meeting with


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply