DEATH TOLL REACHES 60 IN NIGERIAN OIL PIPELINE FIRE

DEATH TOLL REACHES 60 IN NIGERIAN OIL PIPELINE FIRE

Sixty people were killed after a fire broke out on Friday on an oil pipeline in the southeast of Nigeria, a spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said on Monday, up from the tally of 16 dead given by officials three days earlier.

The state oil company on Friday said pumping on the System 2E pipeline network had been halted.

“We will resume the pumping of products very soon,” NNPC spokesman Ndu Ughamadu told Reuters on Monday. “We had put out the fire. We are now pumping water in the pipeline to detect other possible areas of leakages.”

The System 2E pipeline is a key network that supplies imported gasoline and output from the Port Harcourt refineries to much of the southeast and north of the country. The two refining plants at Port Harcourt operate far below their 210,000 barrels per day capacity.

In an emailed statement, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) said it had been prevented from pumping fuel to the southeastern Enugu Depot “which has remained underutilized despite its recent rehabilitation by the NNPC”.

Many oil spills in the southern oil production heartland of Africa’s biggest crude producer are caused by theft and pipeline sabotage. The methods used to steal the oil often result in accidents that cause fires.

The state oil company , which on Friday gave a death toll of 16, said the fire had been caused by pipeline vandals who breached the pipeline in Ososioma near the southeastern city of Aba.

Camillus Eboh / Reuters
Additional reporting and writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Mark Potter

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 1717 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

#TimOmotoso Tim Omotoso in ‘South Africa illegally’

Controversial pastor Timothy Omotoso was in South Africa illegally. This was the testimony of Home Affairs immigration officer Ivan Klaasen in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court where Omotoso’s bail hearing

BROADCAST BY PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI ON OCTOBER 1, 2017

My dear Nigerians, October 1st remains a special date for all Nigerians as this marks the day when we attained one of the most precious of human desires — freedom.

Community 0 Comments

SOMALI SOWETO SPAZA SHOP OWNER ACCUSED OF KILLING TEENAGER‚ RESIDENTS REVOLT

Looting erupted outside a foreign-owned spaza shop in Soweto on Wednesday afternoon after the owner of the shop was alleged to have shot dead a local teen. Community members have

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply