2 KIDS DEAD IN A FIRE ACCIDENT IN LAGOS

2 KIDS DEAD IN A FIRE ACCIDENT IN LAGOS

It was learnt that firefighters from the Lagos State Fire Service, officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and policemen from the Iju Police Division responded to distress calls from residents, but the two kids had died before help could come their way.

The unnamed elder brother was, however, rescued with the support of the residents, while the fire was eventually put out. A resident, Moshood Ibrahim, said the fire had spread to other parts of the room before a neighbour became aware and raised the alarm.

He stated that the distraught mother and the survivor had temporarily relocated to a relative’s house.

He said, “Their mother went out that evening to quickly get some items on the street, but she returned late. The candle had burnt to some level before she left home. Her thinking was that she would come back early.

“She did not put out the candle fire because she did not want the children to sleep in a dark room. Their father was not around. Two of the children were suffocated by the fumes, but their elder brother was rescued and rushed to a hospital. Everybody was devastated by the incident.”

An emergency official, who spoke to a correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the survivor was rescued behind the apartment door.

“He should be about eight years old. He managed to force his way from the fire into the back of the door, where we rescued him,” he added.

The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, confirmed the fire and the deaths.

He said, “When we arrived at the scene, fire was still on in the room where the kids lost their lives. The information we gathered was that the mother went out and the father was not around as well. The two kids were inside the room and the candle was alight. It was the candle that caused the inferno.

“We were able to rescue one of the children and saved other rooms from being affected by the fire. It happened around 9.30pm and our fire station at Agege responded to the emergency.”

Fadipe stated that the agency also responded to fire incidents at a one-storeyed building on Wole Bamiduro Street in the Ahmadiyya area of the state, as well as a bungalow on Oseni Liadi Street, in the Okota area of the state.

“No casualty was recorded in the two incidents. We urge residents to discontinue the use of candles at homes. It is very delicate and has been consuming lives. There are rechargeable lamps and torches that are cheap and risk-free.

“I want to admonish politicians, who have been carrying out series of empowerment programme, to include torches and rechargeable lamps in the materials they have been providing for the populace. This will go a long way in preventing loss of lives and property.”

Facebook Comments

About author

Oludare J. Olusan
Oludare J. Olusan 248 posts

Publisher, Entrepreneur, Author and founder of The African portal / Presenter at The African Portal Radio / TV

You might also like

Politics 0 Comments

DOUBLE STANDARDS: ‘WHY AREN’T WE ALL WITH SOMALIA?’

Almost 300 people were killed when a powerful bomb blast ripped through Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, on Saturday. The attack marked the deadliest assault the country has ever witnessed. Somalia has

THIBAUT COURTOIS BELGIUM KEEPER – FRANCE DIDN’T PLAY AT ALL

Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois said his team’s defeat by France in the Soccer World Cup semi-finals on Tuesday was a “shame for football”, criticising Didier Deschamps’s side for a defensive

Entertainment 0 Comments

MACFUFE 20YEARS CELEBRATION IN BLOEMFONTEIN

The Free State Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation is immensely proud of the massive extravaganza that the MACUFE Festival has become over the years. We are delighted of

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply