DEPT WORKING HARD TO BRING BACK STRANDED SA VICTIMS OF CHINA VISA SCAM

DEPT WORKING HARD TO BRING BACK STRANDED SA VICTIMS OF CHINA VISA SCAM

JOHANNESBURG – International Relations Minister Lindiwe Sisulu says her department is working with officials in China to release the passports of about 50 young South Africans left stranded as a result of a visa scam.

It’s understood they were offered jobs as English teachers in that country but didn’t have the correct documents.

Beijing authorities found that they were working with study visas in contravention of the immigration laws.

The department’s Ndivhuwo Mabaya says: “We’d want them back as soon as possible but they’re in China, there’s a legal system there. We’ll respect that legal system and also count on our good relations to see how soon they can come back.”

The minister also says she will work with police and the Home Affairs Department to track down those behind the scams.

Mabaya adds: “Even if the parents wanted to help, they can’t because these people don’t have passports. The gentleman who is involved in this is being looked at by the Chinese authorities, we’re also looking into him from this side.”

Thando Kubheka / EWN
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 2012 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Politics 1Comments

Nigeria Government urges African Union to intervene over ‘South Africa killings’

Abuja (AFP) – Nigeria on Monday urged the African Union to step in to stop what it said were “xenophobic attacks” on its citizens and other Africans in South Africa.

BLACK MAGIC BAN DENTS SEX TRAFFICKING IN NIGERIA

BENIN CITY, Nigeria (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – For almost two decades, 42-year-old Patience earned a steady income sending girls from Nigeria to Europe for sex work, using black magic to

MENINGITIS OUTBREAK IN NIGERIA HAS KILLED 813 PEOPLE – MINISTER

ABUJA – A meningitis outbreak in Nigeria has killed 813 people so far this year, the country’s health minister said, as Africa’s most populous country and aid organisations attempt to

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply