GAUTENG RESIDENTS FEAR HEALTH DEPT WON’T COPE WITH LISTERIOSIS OUTBREAK

GAUTENG RESIDENTS FEAR HEALTH DEPT WON’T COPE WITH LISTERIOSIS OUTBREAK

JOHANNESBURG – As scientists at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) battle to find the source of the listeriosis outbreak, Gauteng residents say they fear the country’s Health Department will not be able to handle the pressure as the number of patients grow.

With over 900 cases confirmed through laboratory tests, the food-borne disease has so far claimed 172 lives across the country.

The disease affects mostly new-borns which constitute 41% of current cases, pregnant women, people above the age of 65 and those living with HIV, diabetes, cancer and other illnesses that affect the immune system.

Eyewitness News has spoken to a few Gauteng residents about their concerns around the listeriosis outbreak.

Government was first alerted to the problem in July last year when doctors at the Chris Hani Baragwanath and Steve Biko Hospitals voiced their concerns over an unusually high number of babies with the virus.

Since then there’s been no clear indication of where the disease is coming from, but NICD head Dr Juno Thomas says every other project or investigation has been put on hold while scientists work tirelessly to make a conclusive finding.

“Listeriosis cases are notoriously difficult to investigate.”

A Gauteng resident says that he is concerned that government is not doing enough.

“So my friend’s son got a little disturbed, he wasn’t well over the weekend but because his father is lucky enough to provide for him with special treatment. But the question is how about those that don’t have the resources?”

At present, 59% of cases have been recorded in Gauteng.

Masego Rahlaga / EWN

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 1705 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Politics 0 Comments

BLASTS KILL AT LEAST 20 IN NORTHEAST NIGERIA: POLICE

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) – Blasts have killed at least 20 people in northeast Nigeria, police said, while residents said the toll was even higher in the largest attack for weeks

PASTOR TIM OMOTOSO BACK IN COURT

The case against charismatic pastor Timothy Omotoso and his co-accused the Eastern Cape High court in Port Elizabeth yesterday. A pre-trial conference is expected to take place. The 60-year-old pastor

40,000 NIGERIAN REFUGEES IN CAMEROON ORDERED BACK TO NORTHEAST NIGERIA: MSF

ABUJA (Reuters) – Cameroonian and Nigerian authorities have ordered 40,000 refugees in Cameroon to return to northeast Nigeria, aid agency Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said on Wednesday. Tens of thousands

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply