Minister instructs schools to enrol all undocumented children

Minister instructs schools to enrol all undocumented children

Following a ruling by the Eastern Cape high court (Grahamstown) on December 12 that schools should admit undocumented children, the department of basic education has now issued circular instructing schools to comply.

On Tuesday, minister Angie Motshekga sent a circular for provincial education departments, heads of provincial government sections, district directors, school governing bodies, school principals, all South African schools and governing body associations to follow the precedent set by the court.

Judge president Selby Mbenenge ruled that the education department could not remove or exclude “children, including illegal foreign children, already admitted, purely by reason of the fact that the children have no identity document number, permit or passport, or have not produced any identification documents”.

However, at the start of this school year, GroundUp found schools that were still turning away undocumented immigrant children despite the ruling and a previous circular sent in July last year by the acting director-general of the department of basic education SG Padayachee instructing public schools to accept undocumented children conditionally while their parents try to obtain documents.

Spokesperson for the African Diaspora Forum, Amur Sheikh, said: “We hope to see the full implementation of the circular. We will also be visiting schools that have been known for making admission difficult for migrant children.”

This article was first published by GroundUp.

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 4222 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Health 0 Comments

20 Million Nigerians Live With Hepatitis – Health Minister

Minister of Health, Professor Isaac Adewale has said that about 20 million Nigerians were affected by hepatitis. He stated this at the weekend during the Guild of Medical Directors annual

California to apologize for internment of Japanese Americans

California to apologize for internment of Japanese Americans

Timol murder: Outstanding SCA judgment puts ex-apartheid cop Joao Roderigues’ trial on hold

Former apartheid cop Joao Roderigues is still awaiting a judgment from the Supreme Court of Appeal for his alleged involvement in the murder of anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Timol, the Gauteng High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court, heard on Thursday. The former cop has petitioned for a stay of prosecution for his alleged role in…

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply