NIGERIAN HIGH COMMISSION SHUTS DOOR ON NIGERIANS ATTACKED IN SOUTH AFRICA

NIGERIAN HIGH COMMISSION SHUTS DOOR ON NIGERIANS ATTACKED IN SOUTH AFRICA

The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa has shut its door to Nigerian victims of ongoing xenophobic attacks in the former apartheid colony.

The latest attacks against nationals of other African countries domiciled in South Africa, which started on August 28, 2019, has spread to several parts of that country, raising fears of more violence in the coming days.

According to reports by Sahara Reporters, a handful of Nigerians in South Africa revealed how they now live in fear.

According to them, some victims of the attack, who visited the Nigerian High Commission for help and protection were denied entry into the place.

Former president of Nigerian Union South Africa, Iyke Anyene, told Sahara Reporters that Nigerians had remained in the houses, afraid for their lives and unsure if they would be the next victims.

He said, “In some parts of Gauteng Province the looting has continued.

“It started in Pretoria and people have not been able to do their businesses. It is not safe, there is widespread looting.

“Some Nigerian victims went to the high commission but were denied entry into the place.

“The high commission claimed that they are dealing with the situation but we don’t know what to do. We need results, people are losing their lives and properties.”

He said migrants from other African countries are also affected in the attacks and looting, adding that the South African police are usually overwhelmed when such attacks happen.

He added, “All African migrants are affected. When it happened in Pretoria, the police was there but couldn’t stop the attack.

“In Johannesburg, they were not able to stop anything. It is a very serious problem at the moment.”

A Nigerian businesswoman, Doris Ikeri-Solarin, also told Sahara Reporters that she had remained indoors with her family for fear of being killed by South Africans if they go out of their home.

She said, “There is trouble, it is very tough. There is a state of emergency and the violence is still ongoing.

“No one opened shop today, our movement has been restricted.

“In Mabopane, they burnt our shops on Wednesday but we were able to save the ones we have around Sunnyside.

“These people are reinforcing and they are coming out to attack us.”

Ikeri-Solarin faulted the Nigerian High Commission for shutting citizens out at such time of need.

She added, “A baby just died in Marabastad because of the fire. We are at home, we can’t go out, our children cannot go to school, Nigerians inside taxis are dragged out and attacked.

“Nigerian High Commission does not exist. Some of our people affected by this attack went to the high commission but the ambassador did not come out. It is a big shame on them.”

Last Wednesday in Japan during the Tokyo International Conference for Africa Development, President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa, said that his government will address the killings of Nigerians in his country.

He added that the country’s criminal justice system was looking to proffer lasting solutions.

He said, “On the issue of Nigerians who are dying in South Africa, we feel very upset about that.

“Obviously, our criminal justice system is working on it. We don’t support killings.”

But despite his assurances, South Africans have continued to target Nigerians in xenophobic attacks, killing and destroying businesses belonging to them.

In July, President of Nigeria’s Senate, Ahmed Lawan, disclosed that about 118 Nigerians had so far lost their lives in different attacks in South Africa over the years.

Experts say the figure could well be above that figure especially several unreported cases of hostilities against Nigerians.

Source: Sahara Reporters

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 2012 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

Travel 0 Comments

PHUMULANI NGWENYA, SOUTH AFRICA’S NEXT HOTEL MOGUL IN THE MAKING

Phumulani Ngwenya, a businessman from Pongola, plans to be South Africa’s next Sol Kerzner. He owns a guest house and two hotels – Crocodile Creek, Magudu Inn and Kwalala Lodge

OMOYELE SOWORE : NIGERIA IS ABOUT TO WITNESS GENERATIONAL CHANGE

“I want to remind us to register so that we can vote out the enemies of democracy in Nigeria, and the only way we can do this is to be

Religion 0 Comments

WATCH OUT FOR DON MOEN, SINACH, ISRAEL HOUGHTON AND OTHERS AT THE ENCOUNTERS 3 FESTIVAL OF PRAISE AT THE TICKETPRO DOME

The third edition of The Encounters “A Festival of Praise” brought to you by the Grace House will be held on the 10th August, 2018 at the TicketPro Dome in

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply