PRESIDENT BUHARI SAYS NO REST UNTIL LAST KIDNAPPED GIRL RELEASED

PRESIDENT BUHARI SAYS NO REST UNTIL LAST KIDNAPPED GIRL RELEASED

DAMATURU, Nigeria – Nigeria will not rest until the last girl kidnapped by Islamist militants has been released, President Muhammadu Buhari said on Wednesday.

Buhari was speaking on a visit to Yobe, the northeastern state where some 110 girls were kidnapped from their school in the town of Dapchi by suspected members of Boko Haram last month, the most high-profile mass abduction since the 2014 kidnap of more than 270 schoolgirls from Chibok.

“There will be no rest till the last girl, whether from Chibok and Dapchi, is released. The girls, like all our citizens, must enjoy unhindered freedom and pursue their legitimate aspirations,” Buhari said in a tweet from the presidency.

Buhari, the 75-year-old former military ruler who made security the cornerstone of his 2015 election run, was in Yobe as part of a tour of areas beset by violence and crime.

Security has become a politically charged issue with less than a year until the next election, scheduled for February 2019. Buhari has not said if he will seek a second term.

The abduction of girls from Chibok caused international outrage and criticism of then president Goodluck Jonathan for his handling of the attack.

Some of the Chibok girls have been freed, after ransom payments, according to a security source, but around 100 are still being held.

– Reuters

Facebook Comments

About author

Nigerians in South Africa
Nigerians in South Africa 1703 posts

We are about democracy, human rights, public opinion, political behavior, civil rights and policy aimed at improving the human condition, with a focus on African countries.

You might also like

South Africa working towards Visa Free Africa

According to the latest news reports, massive changes to the South African visa system could be on the cards and may soon see nationals from other African countries entering the

#CRIMESTATS BHEKI CELE : ‘IT WAS A BAD DAY FOR ME TO PRESENT THESE STATS TO CABINET’

Police Minster Bheki Cele has dropped a bombshell: “Government security cluster hasn’t met in 2 years. Perhaps that is part of dropping the ball, but now we meet regularly”. Cele

PASTOR TIM OMOTOSO BACK IN COURT

The case against charismatic pastor Timothy Omotoso and his co-accused the Eastern Cape High court in Port Elizabeth yesterday. A pre-trial conference is expected to take place. The 60-year-old pastor

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply